Town of
Oneida County, NY

Very short history of the Town of Westmoreland:
The Town of Westmoreland was the fourth town settled in the area that became Oneida County. Dean's Patent, on the Town's western line was the first area settled by James Dean, who was born in Groton, Connecticut in August 1748. He was a missionary to the Indians, mastered the Oneida tongue and was adopted by the Oneidas. In 1774, Dean went to the Continental Congress. Representing the Indians during the Revolutionary War,Dean was stationed at Fort Stanwix and Oneida Castle. The Oneida's were induced by Mr. Dean and Mr. Kirkland, to remain neutral during the Revolution. Mr. Dean was retained in public service with the rank of Major and as agent of Indians affairs and interpeter. For his services, the Oneidas gave Dean a tract of land two miles square, the title confirmed and ratified by the State of New York in the fall of 1786. First Settlers; James Dean, Jonathan and Eunice Dean, Jedediah Phelps, Andrew Blanchard, Silas and Lucy Phelps, Ephriam Blackmer Esq., Capt. Nehemiah and Anna Jones, Joseph Jones, Joseph and Mary Blackmer jr., William Dean, Samuel Laird and Pelaliah Rawson. By 1789, the Town began to rapidly settle. The land was flat,with rolling hills, perfect for farming. Large quantities of red iron ore was found in the southwest area, this ore was used at Heckla (Hecla) and Clinton Furnances. In 1791 James Dean built the first plank house in Oneida County, on his land, along with a saw mill and grist mill. The Town of Westmoreland was set off from the Town of Whitestown on April 10, 1792. The Town originally included the Town of Verona, part of the Town of Vernon, both taken off in 1802. A small tract was set off to the Town of Kirkland in 1855. Westmoreland's present area is 25,741 acres. The "Line of Property" result, of the Treaty at Fort Stanwix in 1768, runs directly through the Town. The Town of Westmoreland has seven hamlets, Hampton(now Westmoreland), Lowell, Hecla Works, Republican (now Dix), Lairdsville, Bartlett and Eureka. The first religous society, the First Congregational Church,originally met September 20,1792, with the Reverend William Bradford officiating. There were nine early churches within the Town, three Methodist, two Congregational and a Friends Meeting House. Today there are five active churches. Main roads within the Town are the New York State Thruway, Exit 32, State Route 5, State Route 233 and State Route 26. Our population in 1990 Census was 5737. Our population in 2000 Census was 6207.